Safety Razor FAQ in English
- What are the major differences one must consider before using this type of razor? Can I just go at it? Do you just use them like normal?
Otherwise – if you’ve shaved before, you should be good to go for it!
- What is the best angle to use them at — l would like to know the technique and the best way to use it.
Honestly, although they might seem intimidating at first, you really use them exactly like your current razor. Hold the handle at no more than a 30-degree angle and gently slide across the skin. Our biggest recommendation would be to hold them lighter on your skin and use long strokes rather than quick, hard, short strokes.
- Trying to implement a zero waste lifestyle and these razors are the perfect solution! One of my only concerns is storing the blade and having to assembly each time. I’m scared of cuts! What can I do?
No need to assemble each time. Just replace the blade at least every 5-7 shaves as you would with a multi-blade cartridge razor. We recommend doing this before you get in the shower with dry hands to make sure nothing is slippery and avoid any cuts. The best trick is to tighten the head by holding the corners.
- Is there less irritation with a safety razor?!
Absolutely! We find with one blade and oil there is any to no irritation.
- Do they work as well as other razors?
We would have to say that they are a superior shave to any multi-blade razor that we have used. The shave is smoother and last longer.
- Do you have to use a special soap when shaving with a safety razor?
You don’t have to use a special soap with the safety razor. You can use a shave oil or a traditional soap.
- How do you change the blade?
It’s really simple to change the blade as the handle unscrews from the top and then you insert the blade in here. For the easiest change – put all the pieces on the counter top while you are switching them out. We wouldn’t recommend changing blades in the shower and be careful to hold the sides of the blade on the not-sharp edges.
A video on how to change the blade is on the website.
- Where can you get new blades?
All safety razor blades fit, and you can find them at your nearest drugstore or order them in bulk online or from us of course.
And bonus – Replacement blades for safety razors are actually cheaper than typical Gillette and Venus refills!
There’s a bunch of different types so you’ll find what works best for you. We sell Astra, which are our personal favourite, but you can actually buy a variety pack to test a bunch of options!
- Any tips on recycling the blades?
We are so excited that these handles have no plastic and the blades also are plastic free and recyclable. We would recommend collecting all the used blades in a small tin jar and then dropping them off at your local recycling depot.
- And how long do you use the blade for?
We recommend to change the blade every 3 to 4 shaves. Generally, the sharper the blade the better the shave.
- What is the cost? I would love to get onboard 🙂
The initial cost of the razor is more, but the blades are a fraction of the cost (it doesn’t take long to make up the difference!)
- I’m curious about storage, and also travel… can they come in my carry on luggage when traveling by air?
You can keep them in your shower as you normally would, and store spare blades in the cupboard. As for carry on – we don’t think you’re allowed any kind of razor blade in carry on luggage so these likely wouldn’t be different. You could bring the handle though and then purchase blades on arrival.